Support this Buddhist Service for the welfare of all beings.
If I don’t get paid, you don’t get helped. This isn’t free. Well, if you want to get something, learn to be nice. You have $5.00, so stop being so miserly. I have been running this blog for twelve years, and no-one has been honest enough to make a donation into my bank account. PayPal only recently introduced this payment facility to this blogging service, but I gave you my bank details, so stop stealing. Hard huh? What do you want me to say?
Vanessa studied and passed as straight A student at Melbourne Girls Grammar, completing her High School Certificate and ten years of education at one of Melbourne’s leading private schools, Melbourne Girls Grammar. Vanessa then attended and completed a Bachelor of Business Studies, earning high distinctions at Monash University.
Vanessa began employment with FPMT, a non-profit global Tibetan Buddhist organisation, with an outstanding centre for Buddhist Studies at Tara Institute, in East Brighton, in 1992. After working at Tara Institute for three months as Kitchen Manager and four years as Centre Manager, Vanessa completed a Certificate in Computing before going on to work in an administrative capacity for a number of large organisations. Vanessa worked as an assistant to the CEO of Telstra’s mobile billing service, and as an aid to the Director of Architecture of Village Roadshow International.
In 2005, Vanessa made the decision to return to post-graduate studies at Melbourne University, to study Psychology, but due to being unwell for a time, Vanessa was forced to break from these studies in 2006.
Since 2006, Vanessa has completed the following courses:
- A course in Website Design and Construction
- A Blog Writing Course with Gotham Writers Studio in New York.
- A Memoir Writing Course with Patti Miller.
- A two year Novel Writing Course with The Writers Studio, in Bronte, Sydney.
- A Diploma in Share Trading and Investment with Wealth Within Institute, Melbourne.
Having completed her first novel, entitled Nights in the Moon Lily Garden, Vanessa has decided to supplement this work with a series of daily observations about the current state of our health, both as a society and as individuals who are interested in securing lasting happiness, health and peace and freedom.
Vanessa has studied Buddhist philosophy and the science of mind and meditation for twenty eight years, which puts her in an excellent position to give well intentioned and meaningful advice to others on how to achieve a state of health and inner peace. Following is a list of just some of the courses, teachings, commentaries and Initiations Vanessa has studied and completed in Buddhist philosophy.
- Venerable Geshe Doga’s Lam Rim Commentary held on Tuesday nights which lasted many years. In fact, I didn’t miss a single class in 11 years of attending Study Group and the only reason that record was broken was that I simply became too sick to continue.
- Venerable Geshe Doga’s Commentary on Shantideva’s Guide to a Bodhisattva’s Way of Life on Wednesday nights over a similar period of time.
- Venerable Geshe Doga’s Commentary on the Wheel of Sharp Weapons (over several years)
- Gained precious insights into emptiness, learning how to penetrate reality through meditation on emptiness, attending The Penetrating Reality Course, September, 1992.
- Attended Venerable Geshe Doga’s Thirty-five Buddhas Commentary, 1992
- Studied The Jewel Rosary of an Awakening Warrior at a weekend Course, taught by Venerable Geshe Doga, Easter, 1993
- Attended Venerable Geshe Doga’s Commentary on understanding the differences between loveand attachment, May 1993 and July, 1997.
- Learnt about the Seven-point Thought Transformation Technique in a weekend retreat held in 1993 and in July, 1997.
- Completed the Vajrasattva Commentary in July, 1993 and again in September 1995, September, 1997 and September 2000.
- Learnt how to cut though and overcome anger in May, 1994 and August, 1998.
- Attended a talk Geshe Doga gave to the Healing Group, July, 1994.
- Received the Commentary on the Eight Verses of Thought Transformation, in July, 1994, then again in August 1994 and May 1997.
- Completed the Heart Sutra Commentary, October, 1994
- Received the oral transmission of the Thirty-seven Practices of a Bodhisattva Commentary during May, 1995 and again in August of the same year and in April, 1999.
- Studied how to develop patience in June, 1995.
- Learnt about how to develop single-pointed concentration in October, 1995.
- Studied the Four Noble Truths twice, once in April, 1998.
- Completed the Taking Refuge Course held at Tara, in May, 1996 and in July 1998.
- Received the commentary on The Three Principle Paths in May, 1996 and in April 2000.
- Received the commentary on How to Develop Bodhicitta, in June, 1996.
- Learnt all about Karma and how it functions, in July, 1996 and in October 1998.
- Learnt about how to overcome Compassion Fatigue some time in 1996.
- Completed the commentary on The Jewel Rosary of an Awakening Warrior in March, 1997.
- Received the Commentary on the Four Immeasurable Thoughts twice, once in June 1997.
- Learnt about How to Develop Compassion in October, 1997.
- Received Geshe Doga’s commentary on the Foundation of all Good Qualities in April, 1998.
- Received the Commentary on The Two Truths in June, 1998.
- Learnt how to meditate on death and impermanence in September, 1998.
- Received the Commentary on Developing Loving Kindness in November, 1998.
- Studied about How to Meditate in February, 1999.
- Learnt about How to be Happy in March, 1999.
- Received the commentary on Developing Calm Abiding in April, 1999.
- Studied the Seven-fold Cause and Effect in May, 1999.
- Received the commentary on the Eight Mahayana Precepts in October, 1999.
- Studied How to Develop Special Insight through the practice of emptiness in May, 2000.
- Received the commentary on the Six Session Guru Yoga in July, 2000.
- Attended the Six Yogas of Naropa Commentary in November, 2000.
- Studied How to Develop Mindfulness and Alertness in June, 2000.
- Attended the Tenets Teaching throughout 2001.
- Attended the Lam Rim Condensed teachings in 2007.
- Received the commentary on Aryadeva’s Four Hundred Verses, sometime in 2007.
- Received the White Tara Initiation annually from 1992 – 2006.
- Received the Green Tara Initiation in 2007 and several times prior to that.
- Receive the 1000 Arm Chenrezig Initiation conferred by Ribur Rinpoche
- Received the Vajrayogini Initiation (several times)
- Received Manjushri, Chenrezig, Vajrasattva, and Medicine Buddha word empowerment from His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
- Received Om Mani Padme Hum empowerment from His Holiness the Dalai Lama at Parliament House Canberra 1997
- Received commentary on Shantideva’s A Guide to the Bodhisattvas Way of Life in Bodhgaya from His Holiness the Dalai Lama
- Received White Tara Long Life empowerment form His Holiness the Dalai Lama Bodhgaya 2002, Sydney 1997, Geelong 2002
- Received the Heruka Initiation from Kirti Tsenshab Rinpoche at Atisha Centre, Bendigo
- Received Yellow Manjushri Initiation from the Venerable Geshe Doga 2003
- Did 25 weekend Nyung Nae fasting retreats on compassion, averaging 3 a year for seven or eight years from 1992 onwards.
- Yamantaka Retreat Blue Mountains, 2015 with HHDL.
Vanessa has held a number of other positions since 2006 including 8 years as body corporate manager for a group of apartments in South Yarra, where Vanessa oversaw an external renovation of the building, including painting works, plumbing, guttering, brickwork, roofing, and fencing. Vanessa managed the quarterly accounts and attended annual general meetings.
Vanessa completed a time as research manager for Monash University overseeing and participating in research projects for the university for a year.
Vanessa also constructed the website for Perfect Meditation, a self development program of meditation cd’s and binaural entrainment, which successfully ran the business for over ten years.
Please note and respect all copyright to the material posted on this site belongs to Copyright © Vanessa Anne Walsh 2015.